Real Florida Landscapes™ Design Competition
2016 Winner UF student Lea Kindt receives her plaque from little Miss Wildflower
Final Submission DEADLINE: midnight, March 10, 2017
Designs posted for viewing: March 31, 2017
Award Ceremony: Friday, April 21, 2017 at the Native Plant Show
Landscape architects, designers and students … show off your skills and help advance sustainable landscape solutions.
DOWNLOAD SUBMITTAL GUIDELINES
APPLY TO ENTER COMPETITION
One winning design will be selected in each of three regions, defined for this competition as follows:
Central Florida: Levy County across to Flagler County, south to Sarasota, DeSoto, Glades and Martin Counties.
North Florida: West Florida Panhandle to Jacksonville, south to St. Johns, Putnam, Alachua, Gilchrist and Dixie Counties.
South Florida: From Palm Beach County on the east coast, Charlotte County on the west coast and Hendry County inland, south through the Keys.
Winners and their designs are visually recognized at the Native Plant Show and throughout show promotion, promoted on FANN websites and social media, and featured in the next issue of FANN’s Native Plant & Service Directory distributed throughout the Southeastern U.S. Press releases are sent to winners’ local media outlets. Winners also receive complimentary FANN membership and a handsome plaque recognizing their achievement.
SEE PAST WINNERS
Competition open to professionals and students enrolled in related degree programs.
Use of regionally specific plants
Right plant/right place
Diversity of plants
Support for wildlife
Entries will be judged by the following committee of industry experts:
Designs must consist of 100% Florida native plants.
Designs must specify a landscape area approximately 60 x 85 feet in size.
Do not include turfgrass.
Limit the use of mulch and hardscape.
Plan for sustainability in all aspects – including maintenance.
Please consult this website as guide to available native species and appropriate sizes. Get helpful, accurate information on plant size and suitability from growers.
All submitted designs become the property of FANN for use in future educational activities. FANN will not sell or otherwise license the designs.
$40 for professionals
$15 for students
Fee is paid online with application form.
Apply online and make payment anytime. You will receive email with link to upload your design submittal.
Submit your design as one 24″ x 36″ press resolution PDF file and include all of the following elements:
- Title and brief description of purpose (e.g., residential, development entry, roadside, rain garden etc.)
- Geographic region (Central, North or South Florida)
- Designer name and organization
- Brief description of goals for landscape, including any assumptions about site conditions and ecology, as well as any other exceptional distinguishing features that judges should note.
- Plan to scale
- North arrow shown
- Scale (graphic bar & numerical) shown
- Plant list with plant abbreviation code for each plant.
- Properly spelled botanical/common names.
- Create the design based on the expected size of plants at maturity. However, specify plant sizes and spacing for installation.
- Plants on plan labelled with plant abbrevation codes
- Elevation view
QUESTIONS? Contact us online or call us 321-271-4885.